The know-how prepare has left the station and reshaped childhood within the course of. The next statistics illustrate the affect of screens and tech on the day by day life of youngsters. It’s essential to notice that not all the statistics are unfavorable. Relying on its use, know-how has constructive, impartial, and unfavorable results on the lives of youngsters and households.
But, as I researched and wrote The Phone Book, I realized that this era of youngsters and oldsters is navigating tech with out stable guardrails. Congress is working on several laws to help protect kids online, however up to now, few have made it by means of Congress.
These 5 statistics give a snapshot of Era Z and immediately’s mother and father’ wrestle navigating display screen time.
5 Statistics About Youngsters and Screens:
- Extra than half of 11-year-olds within the US have a smartphone, and this age is trending youthful yearly. In keeping with a Stanford study, the typical age at which youngsters acquired their first telephones was 11 years previous. Cellphone acquisition climbs steeply between 10 and 12 years of age.
- Nearly 40% of tweens (ages 8-12) have used social media, in response to a 2021 report by Common Sense Media. The minimal age to make use of social media is 13 on most websites, nonetheless, the shortage of significant age verification means many children get on social media earlier.
- Tweens common 5 hours and 33 minutes of day by day display screen use. Teenagers common eight hours and 39 minutes day by day (Common Sense census: Media use by tweens and teens, 2021). That is above and past the time they spend on screens for schoolwork.
- In keeping with a Common Sense Media survey, the typical age that children report being uncovered to on-line porn was 12.
- A latest Pew study discovered that 80 p.c of teenagers say social media gives an area for reference to friends, creativity, and a chance to hunt assist.
These statistics impressed me to jot down The Phone Book, which releases in summer time 2023. Cell telephones are highly effective instruments that can be utilized in constructive or unfavorable methods. From FOMO to disinformation to digital footprints, The Cellphone Guide explores all of it, together with the darkish facet of tech. I’m hopeful this e-book will function a information to assist children keep protected on-line, be told customers of tech, and develop wholesome digital habits.
About Jessica Speer:
Jessica Speer is the creator of books for youths and youths, together with the forthcoming, The Phone Book – Stay Safe, Be Smart, and Make the World Better with the Powerful Device in Your Hand (Releasing Summer season 2023). Her first e-book, BFF or NRF (Not Actually Associates), was a 2022 Youngsters Alternative Guide Award finalist. Mixing science, tales, humor, and enjoyable actions, her writing unpacks difficult stuff that surfaces throughout childhood and adolescence.
She has a Grasp’s Diploma in Social Sciences and a knack for writing about complicated subjects in ways in which join with children. Jessica frequently contributes to media shops on content material associated to children, parenting, friendship, and social-emotional studying. For extra info, go to www.JessicaSpeer.com